Welcome to the Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A website.
The Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A offers an ideal opportunity for retired or semi-retired people to take part in various group activities, as well as the chance to enjoy regular outings to places of interest.
It’s also an excellent way of learning new skills and making new friends. Our membership is diverse and we’re a friendly bunch who always look forward to meeting newcomers.
We welcome new members and invite you to join us at our monthly meetings, which are held at the Northchurch Social Centre, Bell Lane, Northchurch, HP4 3RD.
Meetings, which include a visiting speaker and refreshments, are held on the first or second Tuesday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
Next meeting 10.00am Tuesday 10 September – When Birds Sing- Saffron Summerfield at Northchurch Social Centre. Everyone Welcome.
Anglesey Abbey, Gardens and Mill – Thursday 18 July. Coach leaves Swing Gate Lane at 8.30am, Kitsbury Road at 8.40am, the OMG at 8.45am and the Rose and Crown, Tring at 9.00am. Arriving home approx. 6.00pm. If you are a National Trust Member please remember your membership card.
Epping & Ongar Steam Railway- Friday 9 August. Coach leaves the Rose & Crown, Tring at 8.15am, OMG at 8.30am, Kitsbury Rod at 8.35am and Swing Gate Lane at 8.40am. Arriving home approx. 5.30pm.
Bedford & Kathy Brown’s Garden – Wednesday 11 September. Coach leaves Swing Gate Lane at 8.30am, Kitsbury Road at 8.35am, the Old Grey Mare at 8.40am and the Rose and Crown, TBA. Arriving home 6.00pm.
What has Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A given to me? Friends and the opportunity to do things I never imagined I would or could.
2019 – 2020 Meetings and Speakers
- 15 January 2019: Dabs & DNA Detect Criminals – Chris Trunan
- 12 February 2019: Diamond Mines to Mistress – Louise Prior
- 12 March 2019: Poisons for Medicine – Graham Harrison
- 9 April 2019: Delhi Durbar Crown – David Callaghan
- 7 May 2019: The History of Royal Flying – Graham Laurie
- 4 June 2019: The Vanishing Maidservant – Ian Keable
- 2 July 2019: 40 Years Catching Smugglers – Malcolm Nelson
- August – No Meeting – Summer Holidays
- 10 September 2019: When Birds Sing – Saffron Summerfield
- 8 October 2019: Victorian Baby Farming – Eve Bacon
- 5 November 2019: Cyber Crime – Phillipa Phipps
- 10 December 2019: Call My Bluff
- 14 January 2020: Victoria Cross – David Callaghan
- 11 February 2020: Elstree: Britain’s Hollywood – Rob Redman
- 10 March 2020: How to Control Your Wife: Women and Victorian Marriage – Jennifer Kelsey
- 7 April 2020: Victoria and George V – Stephen Lester
- 7 February 2019: Jewish London
- 5 March 2019:Old Time Musical
- 4 April 2019: Kings Cross
- 21 May 2019: Abingdon and Country River Cruise
- 26 June 2019: Margate
- 18 July 2019: Anglesey Abbey and Lode Mill
- 9 August 2019: Epping Ongar Railway and Routemaster Bus ride
- 11 September 2019: Kathy Brown’s Garden and Bedford Town
- October 2019: Cambridge, tour of College and in to town. Evensong at Kings College. Exact date to be confirmed.
- 27 November 2019: Kew Festival of Light
- 16 December 2019: Christmas lunch at Boxmoor Lodge
Being a member of Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A for the past five years has made a big difference to my life in that it has given me the opportunity to make new friends with similar interests. I particularly enjoy playing Scrabble and cards. The monthly talks are interesting and varied and can be quite inspirational too. We have been on some excellent day trips and often have an official guide on these outings which means we get the most from our visits. If you are at all hesitant about whether to join us, just come along to a meeting and see what a friendly group of people we are.