Welcome to the Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A website.
The Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A offers an ideal opportunity for retired or semi-retired people to take part in various group activities, as well as the chance to enjoy regular outings to places of interest.
It’s also an excellent way of learning new skills and making new friends. Our membership is diverse and we’re a friendly bunch who always look forward to meeting newcomers.
We welcome new members and invite you to join us at our monthly meetings, which are held at the Northchurch Social Centre, Bell Lane, Northchurch, HP4 3RD.
Meetings, which include a visiting speaker and refreshments, are held on the first or second Tuesday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
We look forward to seeing you all and any new members that might like to join us for our next meeting on Tuesday 3rd May @ 10.00am when we have Alex Turner visiting us for his talk, “Monologues and Meandearing.” Our trips have now resumed and our first trip was to Chichester followed by a trip to RHS Wisley on 12th May.
What has Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A given to me? Friends and the opportunity to do things I never imagined I would or could.
Trips for 2022
- 20th April – Chichester
- 12th May – Wisley
2022 Meetings and Speakers
- 17 January 2022 – Monologues and Meanderings – Alex Turner
- 8 February 2022 – “Come fly with me” – John Hope
- 8 March 2022 -“Invasion 1940 – what if?” – Tony Eaton
- 5 April 2022 – “Aerial and spills at Northolt Airport” – Colin Richards
- 3 May 2022 – “Monologues and Meanderings” Alex Turner
- 14 June 2022 – “Plants for midsummer onwards” George Lockwood
- 12 July 2022 – “Gordon Brown and Tony Blair” – Andrew Baker
- 13 September 2022 – “DABS and DNA Detects Criminals” – Chris Turan
- 11 October 2022 – “The Spy who solved his own murder” – Paul Barwick
- 8 November 2022 – “A Woman’s Life in the Army” – Lucy Lewis
- 6 December 2022 – Christmas Meeting
- 10 January 2023 -“ Great British Eccentrics” – Paul Robins
- 7 February 2023 – “Country Houses and World War Two” – Adam Smith
- 7 March 2023 – “Life and Times of Agatha Christie” – Geoff Bowden
Below are some examples of our groups:
- Social History
- Knit ‘n Natter
- Book Club
- Quiz Group
- Using an iPad
- Just Sew (craft group)
- Royal Flush, Canasta or Rummikub card groups
- Art Appreciation
- Scrabble [4 groups]
- Beginners Genealogy
- Social & Games
- Health & Wellbeing
Being a member of Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A for the past five years has made a big difference to my life in that it has given me the opportunity to make new friends with similar interests. I particularly enjoy playing Scrabble and cards. The monthly talks are interesting and varied and can be quite inspirational too. We have been on some excellent day trips and often have an official guide on these outings which means we get the most from our visits. If you are at all hesitant about whether to join us, just come along to a meeting and see what a friendly group of people we are.
If you are interested in joining Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A or have any questions you would like answered, please don’t hesitate to get in touch either by using the form below or sending an email to the secretary.