Welcome to the Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A website.
The Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A offers an ideal opportunity for retired or semi-retired people to take part in various group activities, as well as the chance to enjoy regular outings to places of interest.
It’s also an excellent way of learning new skills and making new friends. Our membership is diverse and we’re a friendly bunch who always look forward to meeting newcomers.
We welcome new members and invite you to join us at our monthly meetings, which are held at the Northchurch Social Centre, Bell Lane, Northchurch, HP4 3RD.
Meetings, which include a visiting speaker and refreshments, are held on the first or second Tuesday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
What has Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A given to me? Friends and the opportunity to do things I never imagined I would or could.
2017-2018 Meetings and Speakers
- 10 January 2017: 45 years as a Town Crier – Richard Wilson
- 7 February 2017: The Trials and Tribulations of location filming – Howard Lanning
- 7 March 2017: Treasures of Chequers – Susie Brooke
- 4 April 2017: From Tiller Girl to Vernon Girl – Sheila Parker
- 2 May 2017: A notebook, a whistle and a truncheon – Keith Baldwin
- 13 June 2017: The women I married – Richard Selby
- 11 July 2017: Fanny Kemble – Louise Reed
- August 2017: No meeting
- 12 September 2017: When Rodgers meets Hammerstein
- 10 October 2017: Cordite, Castrol R and the 2017 Olympics – David Butler
- 7 November 2017: Neville Chamberlain, a reputation revisited – Martin Holmes
- 16 January 2018: The training and use of police dogs – Len Little
- 13 February 2018: Travels with Auntie, my life in the BBC – Alistair Lack
- 13 March 2018: Code breakers 1914 to 1946 – Bryony Norburn
- 10 April 2018: The History of The English Garden – Philippa Bernard
- 8 May 2018: Concorde
- 5 June 2018: The Oxford of Inspector Morse – Alaister Lack
- 3 July 2018: The Life and Science of Galileo – Graham Marrett
- August 2018: No Meeting
- 11 September 2018: Highwaymen and Stagecoaching
- 9 October 2018: Insights of a Provincial Auctioneer
- 6 November 2018: The Great War Centenary Commemoration
- 11 December 2018: Christmas Quiz
- 15 January 2019: Dabs & DNA Detect Criminals – Chris Trunan
- 12 February 2019: Diamond Mines to Mistress – Louise Prior
- 12 March 2019: 40 Years Catching Smugglers – Malcolm Nelson
- 29 November 2018: ‘Food Glorious F
- 17 December 2018: Christmas Meal at Boxmoor Lodge Hotel 12.30pm for 1.00pm
- Residential U3A summer schools bookings – please book your place early
Being a member of Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A for the past five years has made a big difference to my life in that it has given me the opportunity to make new friends with similar interests. I particularly enjoy playing Scrabble and cards. The monthly talks are interesting and varied and can be quite inspirational too. We have been on some excellent day trips and often have an official guide on these outings which means we get the most from our visits. If you are at all hesitant about whether to join us, just come along to a meeting and see what a friendly group of people we are.