Welcome to the Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A website.
The Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A offers an ideal opportunity for retired or semi-retired people to take part in various group activities, as well as the chance to enjoy regular outings to places of interest.
It’s also an excellent way of learning new skills and making new friends. Our membership is diverse and we’re a friendly bunch who always look forward to meeting newcomers. If any current or new member would like to form a new group and lead that group we would welcome that too.
We welcome new members and invite you to join us at our monthly meetings, which are held at the Northchurch Social Centre, Bell Lane, Northchurch, HP4 3RD.
Meetings, which include a visiting speaker and refreshments, are held on the first or second Tuesday of the month from 10am to 12 noon. Please come and join us.
Thank you to Andrew Lound for his talk on Space Wings- the story of the space shuttle in November. Northchurch and Berkhamsted members have our own Christmas Festivities in December so we will be glad to see any new members joining us at Northchurch Social Centre @ 10.00am on 16th January 2024 when we have Andrew Baker visiting us for his talk – The Profumo Affair 60 years on. Until then we wish our members and any new members thinking of joining us next year, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Our walking group has released all the proposed dates for 2024. All proposed walks will be on Thursdays – 18th January, 22nd February, 21 March, 18th April, 23rd May, 20th June, 18th July, 19th September, 24th October and 21st November. If you would like to join any of these walks please contact the secretary details at bottom of page, who can give you the contact details for the walking group leader.
What has Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A given to me? Friends and the opportunity to do things I never imagined I would or could.
Trips for 2023
- Kew Orchid Festival – 21st February
- Adam Henson’s Farm – 22nd March
- The Black Country Museum – 23rd May
2023 – 2024 Meetings and Speakers
- 10 January 2023 -“ Great British Eccentrics” – Paul Robins
- 7 February 2023 – “Country Houses and World War Two” – Adam Smith
- 7 March 2023 – “Life and Times of Agatha Christie” – Geoff Bowden
- 11 April 2023 – The Weird and Wonderful World of the Law” – David Allen
- 9 May 2023 – “Windsor and the Nazis – Dupe or Traitor?” – Tony Eaton
- 6 June 2023 -“The Great Cannabis Con” – Dick Breeze
- 4 July 2023 – “Georgi Markov and The Poison Umbrella Murder” Paul Barwick
- 12 September 2023 – “Prime Ministers’ Extra Marital Affairs 1721-1945 – Roger Mason
- 10 October 2023 – “Frank Sinatra and The Mafia” – Brian Greenan
- 7 November 2023 – “Space Wings – The Story of The Space Shuttle” – Andrew Lound
- 16 January 2024 -“The Profumo Affair, 60 Years On” – Andrew Baker
- 13 February 2024 – “Doin’ what comes nat’rally’ The Life and Music of Irving Berlin” -Geoff Bowden
- 12 March 2024 -“My Life in Music – Andy Smith
- 9 April 2024 – “Unusual British Customs” – Barry Goodman
Below are some examples of our past groups:
- Social History
- Knit ‘n Natter
- Book Club
- Quiz Group
- Using an iPad
- Just Sew (craft group)
- Royal Flush, Canasta or Rummikub card groups
- Art Appreciation
- Scrabble [4 groups]
- Beginners Genealogy
- Social & Games
- Health & Wellbeing
Being a member of Northchurch and Berkhamsted U3A for the past five years has made a big difference to my life in that it has given me the opportunity to make new friends with similar interests. I particularly enjoy playing Scrabble and cards. The monthly talks are interesting and varied and can be quite inspirational too. We have been on some excellent day trips and often have an official guide on these outings which means we get the most from our visits. If you are at all hesitant about whether to join us, just come along to a meeting and see what a friendly group of people we are.
If you are interested in joining Northchurch & Berkhamsted U3A or have any questions you would like answered, please don’t hesitate to get in touch either by using the form below or sending an email to the secretary.